Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Personal Narrative

Today Travis stayed with me after school instead of going home with Grandpa. I have been spoiled because Travis does most of his homework with Grandpa.  Actually, this ended up being a good thing as Travis did not bring home his usual math page. Instead it was a writing page where he had to write a personal narrative.  He had it half way done when I saw it. I was very surprised at his topic of choice.... happily surprised of course.  He is in the shower right now so I snuck it out of his backpack and decided to write it here on my blog. I think it is great.  If you see any typos or mistakes it is because I am copying it word for word. (Keep in mind he is in Third grade and he is remembering this from a six year old state of mind.)

The time I rember when I got my brother is going on a long long long super long airplane ride.  That was not fun going on a long ride. 

It all began when I was getting my brother.  It took a long time to get my brother. A very long time.  We stayed in a hotel for 6 days and it was the best hotel I've been in. When we got my brother we went to a building.  When dad and mom went to get him I had to stay in an office. Then I saw him.

One day my brother started walking. When he was walking he had to crawl or use the wall to walk.  We went to Red Square. My brother had his own french fries.  He started to talk a lot.

Later, we were playing in the hotel.  We ate peanuts and drank Sierra Mist.  Mom drank coca-cola lite.  Dad drank coke.  We also played on the computers. I had only my socks on. That's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, we packed our suitcase.  We went to get back on the airplane.  Connor didn't like the airplane ride.  When we got home we played a lot and a lot and a lot!  We also had fun playing in the bathtub!

That's when I realized I was the big brother!

Now I have to insert my thoughts as I read this.  =)  Yes, it was a long flight!  Yes, it took us an entire year start to finish to bring Connor home.  We endured a much longer wait to bring Travis home. Other families have endured even worse waits. However, to a  5/6 year old child I am sure that 12 months seemed like an eternity!!  And the talking part while eating french fries... ummm... I don't recall that!!  lol 

I can't quite pinpoint exactly why I love this so much. Is it because he chose this topic all on his own at school? Is it because he has this fond memory of getting his brother in Russia?  Is it because he really does love his brother? A lot?? (Even though it might not look like it sometimes??) When I ask him what made him choose this topic he can't really answer me.  Well, he did say, "Well, because it was a long story and I needed a long story to write about." Well ok.  Whatever the reason, I am glad he chose this one.  I am hoping his teacher will edit it with him and fix a few things here and there.  Then I just hope he brings it home because this one is a keeper!

And just for memories sake here are a few pics to go with the story.

Travis on that long, long plane ride.
 Travis in "the office" waiting for us to bring Connor up so they could meet.
 Connor with his first french fries at McDonald's near Red Square.
 Connor walking using the walls.
 The computer area.. I guess he did take off his socks!!  It's funny what kids think of and remember.
 
And yes Travis, you are and always will be the Big Brother!!

 

No comments: