Sunday, January 27, 2013

So January Started With A Bang...

I am hoping and praying that the way our January started out is not a premonition as to how our 2013 is going to go.  First of all, Daryle went to the ER and ended up being admitted. Say what??! Yes, he spent 3 days in the hospital. He had a severe attack of diverticulitis.  No fun.  He was put on a liquid diet to help the inflammation settle down.  (In case you don't know what diverticulitis is, it is when you develop pockets in your intestines and those pockets get infected. In addition to an infection, he also had an abscess in there.)  To say he was not a happy camper is an understatement!
 Meanwhile.... the food lady must have felt bad for me one day.  After bringing Daryle his broth, jell-o and grape juice she approached me with the daily menu. Evidently she had extras so she offered me a lunch. Although I felt a bit guilty, this meant I didn't have to leave Daryle all alone in the hospital while I went out to grab something to eat.  And then inhale it on the way back. I thought it was nice.  Daryle handled it well, and he assured me it was ok to eat in front of him, but he did have to post this on facebook! 
 I tried to get a picture of Petey with this bowl hanging out of his mouth... but of course once I grabbed the camera he started doing this. I think it is so funny that when his water bowl is empty he carries it to us. Kind of like Snoopy or something! One of these days I will get a picture of him doing that.
 Last night we took the boys to Monster Jam. This has been a yearly tradition for Daryle and Travis since he was about 4 years old.  Last year Connor was supposed to go, but he had a tummy virus and was unable to go. Well.... yesterday morning/afternoon Connor decided to start throwing up everything he ate.  It was not fun. He threw up in the car and in several parking lots and streets along the way home.  He didn't want to miss the show again this year.  He was fine other than not being able to keep anything down.  We felt like really bad parents. but we brought him to the show (well, he didn't even have a fever or anything..that justifies it, right??). I had an extra set of clothes, saltines, water, and some applesauce as back up in my bag.  He did really well, didn't get sick there at all and had a wonderful time.  Phew.  We were ready to leave if need be, but being the little trooper he is he stayed and enjoyed every single minute of his first Monster Jam.


 Did I mention it was my first Monster Jam as well?? Usually I opt out and have an evening to myself.  Well, Grandpa was feeling under the weather so I decided to go. Especially with Connor not doing too well earlier in the day too....I figured I had better go along.
We all signed our names on one of the cars.

Connor does not like loud noise.  We bought him these way too expensive ear muff things to block out the noise.  Daryle whispered in my ear, "Gee, he looks like Princess Laya meets Honey BooBoo"  LOL I thought he looked precious!
The funniest part was they kept slipping down and pushing in his cheeks. Travis affectionately called him "little chubby". 
 Travis enjoying some food from our seats in the nose bleed section. Actually, they were pretty good. We could see everything from up there.
See?  Pretty cool watching them get it all set up.
As we were waiting you could send a text up to the Jumbo Tron.  Daryle sent one that said "Travis and Connor love Monster Jam! (It is the third row down.)
 As we were sitting there reading and watching the board another one came up. I looked at Daryle and said, "Is that for me???" He had a big grin on his face and said yes.  It is the third row down.
It said, "Thanks for coming to Monster Jam Lisa.. BEST mom in the world!"  I loved it!
Eventually the lights went out.  The windows were open at Chase Field but the roof was closed because it had been raining all day.  It was an awesome sight!
 Of course there was time for some self portraits with my boys.

This little face is so funny... he wanted to watch the trucks NOT take pictures with mom! Ha!
Even though I was looking forward to a nice relaxing evening, I had a really good time with the boys. I am glad I went.  As for Daryle and his health issues... he will be having surgery on Feb. 7 to have the infected part of his intestines removed.  He will be in the hospital for 5 days and then a 6 week recovery.  Oh yay for us.  I just hope it all goes smoothly and he is feeling much better when it is all said and done. Then I hope and pray that is enough hospital time for our family for awhile!

2 comments:

Kathryn Melzer said...

you are a great mom! And we hope Daryle's surgery goes well. Keep us posted.

Also, I love Travis' personal narrative below. Such a treasure. Elsa typed up a simple story the other day about how the best thing I ever did was take them to Disneyland. Hmmmm....out of all the things I do for them?! Looks like we will need to save for Disney again :)

mad white woman said...

Nothing like medical expenses. :) A lady I worked with thought (self-diagnosed) she had diverticulitis a few weeks ago... but she didn't need surgery so maybe it wasn't. Anyway, I didn't know what it was until then. Ugh! Guys in the hospital crack me up... when my dad was in, I told him I'd hate to be a nurse.

I loved Travis' personal narrative. Those are the moments you think, "I'm doing something right!".