Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Tree + Santa + Parades = LOTS of Family Time

Last weekend we put up all of our Christmas decorations. Connor thinks they are all pretty neat! He woke up from his nap and Travis and I had just about finished. He looked around the house with wide eyes and then a huge smile spread across his face. It was so cute! He loves the lights on the tree and he has been pretty good about being careful. He has pulled off a few ornaments, but I didn't put any breakables at the bottom anyway. As he takes them off I just move them up higher. I figure that by Christmas morning there will be no ornaments on the bottom half of the tree! Oh well!
Here is Connor looking at the lights, before we decorated the tree.

Mommy's little helper. Travis really is a great helper and did a super job helping me out with the tree. I love how kids decorate, it makes the tree more unique.
I took a peek around the back of the tree to find he hung these three candy canes right on top of each other! Too funny!! They really are 3 different ornaments! LOL
Admiring all of our hard work!
Travis is showing off his decorating talents. He likes to put them all at the bottom. I guess he can see them better that way!
On Friday night our town had a tree lighting celebration. The elementary school choirs all sang so we went to hear our school. Santa was also there, so we had our first Santa Experience for Connor. He cried of course! I love living in a small town, when we go to these functions we see so many people we know. Now that we have lived here for 5 years I even see some of my old students. It is amazing how they are growing up, sometimes it is hard for me to recognize them!
As you can see Travis is all smiles, Connor is crying and not too sure! I LOVE these types of pictures!
Connor is enjoying his first candy cane! Yummy! (Don't worry, he just licked it for a few minutes until I could transition him to a graham cracker without him throwing a fit in public!!)
If I hadn't already done my Christmas cards, this would have been perfect! It amazes us how Connor lets Travis pick him up and carry him around. They really are bonding as brothers, it is such an amazing process to watch unfold.
As if the excitement on Friday wasn't enough, our town had the Christmas Parade on Saturday morning. Even though I have a million and one things to do, we decided it could all wait so we could take Connor to his first parade. It wasn't Travis' first parade but it was the first time we all were able to go together. Last year Daryle and Travis went, I have no idea why I couldn't go. Anyway, it was chilly out and it started almost an hour late, but in the end we all had a great time. We saw lots of horses, marching bands, cheerleaders, tractors, military vehicles and even Native American dancers in full headdress! It was awesome, I love our small town! We saw lots of people we know in the parade, which makes it even more fun and entertaining.
The boys waiting for the parade to start. Yes, it was cold. No, Connor does not have on his slippers. It is a challenge to keep shoes on this kid!
Wearing mommy's glasses was a source of good entertainment during our wait.

The good thing about having a little brother is that there is always a seat around when you get tired of standing!
Still no shoes. Sigh. It wasn't for a lack of trying though!
Isn't this the cutest little guy? He is wearing his reindeer slippers. My grandma had bought them for Travis years ago, but he didn't like how they felt on his feet. Good thing I saved them because Connor likes running around the house in them! He is such a cutie!! So far Connor's first Christmas experience seems to be going well and flying by way too fast. I can't wait for Christmas morning, we have much to celebrate!

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

I love this time of year so I'm with Connor. I could stare all day long at a Christmas tree with lights. :) Someday we'll do the Polar Express ride... I hope I have a lot of somedays ahead of me because it seems more things are left for someday than today. ;)