Friday, January 14, 2011

In the beginning...

I was going through some older pictures and I found some shots of Travis' very first soccer team. They named themselves Blue Thunder. He was in the 4 year old group and it was Daryle's first time coaching. Don't they all look so cute?

These pictures were from his very first game. It was blazing hot outside being that it was early September here in Arizona. I know the temperature was well above 105 that day. Here was Travis, just wondering around wandering what he should do. It didn't help that he was boiling hot out there!
I can't tell you how many pictures I have of Travis just following his dad around like this. He just did not know what to do. Every game after this one he sat in my lap and cried. We had to literally push him onto the field. Other days I just let him sit on my lap. We seriously considered not EVER signing him up for soccer again. It was just too embarrassing to be the coach and have your kid cry on the sidelines (although he did great at practices! That's the only part that kept us encouraged.)
This is perhaps my most favorite shot of the day. You can see how hot it was. The look on his face just says it all!
Moral of the story: Don't give up. Back then I NEVER would have guessed that today Travis would not only LOVE soccer but that he would actually be pretty good at it too. Perseverance payed off for all of us!

No comments: