Sunday, May 27, 2012

Introducing Petey

Well, it is official.  We now have another member of the family. Petey Hawes has joined the family!
 It's kind of funny how these things happen. Just like with my boys, this adoption of Petey was also meant to be.  Originally Daryle and I said we would not get another dog until July, after we returned from our vacation to California.  We didn't want to have a new dog and then ask somebody to watch the dog while we were gone.  Well, that all changed last Saturday. Daryle was on duty out at the little league game.  He was talking to one of our friends when a friend of that lady came over and started talking about a rescue dog she had been fostering that was ready to join a family.  She was really trying to get her friend to take the dog, but she said she already had two dogs and didn't really want another one.  Daryle's ears perked up a bit. He explained to the lady that we wanted to wait until we got back from our trip.  Her response was, "That is fine, I can watch him for you when you go on your trip! No problem!!"  Daryle came home and told me about him and what she said about watching him.  It turns out she lives quite close to us, walking distance in fact.  She brought him over on Sunday so we could check him out in our surroundings and see how it went. Well, I knew from the moment he set foot in our house that he was meant to be in our family!
 Immediately he felt right at home too. He is a 5 month old American Bulldog.  He is so calm, sweet and gentle.  He is great with the boys. The boys are great with him.  After his Sunday visit we told her YES we love him. Can we get him on Thursday? I knew that was the last day of school so then after that we would be home with him.  He is working on being house broken. Hopefully by the end of our summer break he will be.  For a puppy he is amazingly calm. He has his "busy" times of the day but so far my boys have been right there to help entertain him. 
 Here is Petey giving Connor some puppy love.
 I thought this was funny. Daryle was trying to get a picture of Petey on his phone. Connor wanted to lay by him and of course Travis had to be in the middle of it all!
 Now, it is like Petey has always been here with us.  Travis has somebody else to "boss" around. I think it is giving Connor a break!  haha  In the past, we never, ever let Rock get on the furniture. Well, Petey has his own agenda I guess.  Here he is with Travis, just hanging out on the couch.
I guess it's ok. The couch is old.  I draw the line on any other furniture though.  Who can say no to a boy and his dog???  Just look at the love!

Funny Connor comments:
Connor: Dad, Petey has to stay inside so he doesn't get dirty. He can't get any more brown spots.
(I guess he thinks the brown spots are dirt!!!)
Connor: Dad!  Petey pooped in our backyard!
Dad: Well then, go clean up the poop.
Connor: I can't dad. I am not an adult.
(hahahaha!!!)
This is going to be a great summer!

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Too bad we don't live closer. Otherwise I'd send my girls to your house to get their dog fix. :) Ha ha, Connor is funny.