Monday, October 1, 2012

Competition

I have to start by saying I am not a very competitive person. Unless I am competing at something I know I can win.  Something I know I am good at.  That is when I start to "talk smack" so to speak.  On that note, I must say that I am not a competitive ATHLETE.  Never have been. Never will be.  I am not great at any sport. I played some soccer and softball when I was younger, but it was mostly for the social aspects. Hanging out with my friends was fun, the exercise was an added benefit. For me, it was never about winning. 
 
Now I am a mom.  To two boys.  Two athletic boys. Two athletic, competitive boys.  As a bonus my husband is the same way.  (Or at least he was athletic in his younger days... don't tell him I said that though!)  Anyway, my world is being rocked a little bit lately.  This competitive society (in regards to team sports) we live in is starting to get to me.
 
Travis has played baseball in our local Little League organization for 4 years.  Now both boys are playing in our local Pony Baseball organization.  We have been in this for about a month now.  In all of the sports Travis has played (soccer, baseball, and basketball) I have NEVER seen anything like what I saw on Saturday. 
 
We showed up for Connor's 9:30 am T-BALL game. Mind you, these kids are supposed to be ages 4-6 (6 only if they have never played t-ball before). However, if you sign a waiver you can play if you are 3. So, we have 2  players on our team that are 3. OK, that's fine. The first two games were evenly matched.  Keep in mind there are only 4 t-ball teams in the league.  As we are watching the first inning of this game I notice that the other team's players look significantly bigger than our players.  One parent made a comment about this. Then another parent (who is also a board member of this league) gets all upset and goes to get the rule book.  She makes a big scene pointing to the fact that 6 year olds are allowed to play t-ball. The other parent was disgusted and said she didn't ask to see the rules, she was only making a comment that the other team looked much older than our team.  It was a heated exchange.   Holy moly.  I had to double check where I was, this was a t-ball game, right??  Then the board member parent comes over and sits near me (only because I was sitting by her friend) and I ask what is going on. I was informed that the team we were playing is a team of all 6 year olds. They have played together for 4 seasons, which is 2 years. My response was, "Why are they still playing t-ball then?  Shouldn't they move up in the league?"  That woman about bit my head off saying, "Well, they have a four year old on the team!!!!"  Oh.  I see.  In my mind the team moves up and signs a "waiver" for the little one or the little one stays back while the others move up. It is sad to watch little three and four year olds be out run by 6 year olds.  The  6 year olds played the same position each inning.  They made plays. They ran fast.  It made me sick inside. Really, this was t-ball??  And if you have ever watched a t-ball game I think you would agree with me in saying.... What parent would want to sit through that for 4 seasons watching the SAME KID????????  (Meaning, it's different than watching your other kids play for the first time.) 
 
Anyway, I couldn't believe how these women were contradicting themselves.  First they were saying (towards the other mom who commented on the size of the players) that "this was just for the kids to have fun". I agreed with them. In my mind it is all about having a good time.  Then I said, "Yes, but I am looking at the team we are playing and it seems they ARE out here only to win." To which they said to me, "Oh, yes they are!  That's true! This is my neighbor's team, we know them.  That is how my older son's team was and they won the State Championship 4 times!"  Say what?   I wasn't aware of a State Championship for t-ball.  Then I said, "And their team has played the same positions the whole game." Board member says to me, "Well they aren't supposed to."  To which I said, "Well, they did." End of game. I got in the last word. Maybe I am somewhat competitive. Just not athletically.
 
I have to say that board member has said many other things to me that make my blood boil. She heard that my husband made a comment on Facebook that was negative about the league rules.  Then she tried to "friend" him on FB. He has never even met her before.  I also overheard her say to our team mom, "I am going to send an email to you about this age thing. I just want to be a b***h."  I was in shock. I try to stay away.  I am surprised she continues to speak to me at all.  I have also found that since I turned 40 I say things to people that I never would have said before. I used to bite my tongue more often.  Oh well. Maybe I am more competitive than I thought.  Or maybe I am just a fierce Mama Bear!
 
Things have been quite intense at Travis' games as well. However, he is 9 so I expect there to be more competition going on.  The other team intentionally walked one of our little guys because he is big and they were afraid he would get a big hit.  That was weird to watch.  The redeeming part was that the next kid got a hit and Travis scored the winning run!  (Travis had an awesome hit before the walk.  Me, competitive??  I guess it depends on the situation. Ha.)  The thing about this league is they play by major league rules.  No matter what the age.  OK, I say let's chalk this up to a learning experience for us all. I am going to enjoy the remaining games. I know it won't be easy, but I think it will help if I stay away from the crazy board member!   
 
I just hope I don't get an ulcer... or a sore tongue because sometimes I just need to be quiet...
 
One mom I am friends with told me we should pitch this idea for a reality series.... Baseball Parents Gone Crazy!  After seeing some of the stuff on TV lately, I think this would fit right in. lol
 
But seriously, if I get an ulcer I will know why.
 


1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Your t-ball situation would make an excellent reality show. I was thinking that before I even read the last bit of this post. I can't believe people would get that competitive for a 6-year old t-ball team. It makes me laugh and feel almost embarrassed for their parents. Do they realize how ridiculous that is?

I am not competitive when it comes to sports - at all. Jason's the total opposite. Which is why the first time we played coed softball together, it was super unhealthy for our marriage. :)