Monday, June 16, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes...

I have been busy getting paperwork together, poor Travis has been tagging along with me like a trooper. The other week when we went to our agency and began the paperwork, the lady we are working with at our agency gave Travis and I each a little treasure to take home. She laid out some pretty stones and she picked one for me (she let Travis pick his) and she told us to hold onto them as we wait for our adoption to be complete. She said it was just something tangible for us to carry around and for us to know this adoption WILL HAPPEN. (Daryle was not there, she said she had to see him in person to pick out his stone!) So, we came home and put the stones on my dresser next to two framed pictures we have of each of us with Travis outside of his orphanage. I also have some white roses by the pictures that were given to me as we awaited Travis. Anyway, every day Travis will pick up the stones, give me mine, and we will hold the stones by our hearts and say a little prayer for "our baby". I always say something about keeping our baby safe and healthy etc. Travis always adds "And if our baby is crying I hope somebody gives them lots of hugs and kisses too!" (I think I said that once so now he repeats it!) It is really cute. Well, anyway, tonight at dinner we were telling Daryle about our day and somehow it came up that we said a prayer for the baby today. Here is how the conversation went:

Daryle-"So, Travis, did somebody hold you when you cried in Russia? Was it Lenia?" (Travis liked this caregiver and we got a picture of her holding Travis one day at the orphanage)
Travis- "Um...let me think...it was God."

Ok, as you can all imagine my eyes welled up!!!! Daryle couldn't believe it either, he mostly just laughed at me because he knows how emotional I get about things like that, but I know he was laughing so he wouldn't cry too! So, that wasn't enough, and I had to pursue this conversation further. So I asked him if Jesus and the angels also held him because while we were waiting for him to come home I prayed and asked Jesus and the angels to hold him and he said "Yes,they did". (I know MANY people also prayed for this including my entire first grade class at the time.)So, I asked him if he knew what they looked like and he said no. Daryle asked him if God told him that his mommy and daddy would be coming for him soon and he said no. I think he was getting tired of our questioning so he decided to fall off his chair and change the subject. (Or do you think maybe one of those angels pushed him?)

2 comments:

Grammy said...

Oh yeah ... that sounds like an angel nudge to me!

mad white woman said...

LOL, a little angel nudge. What a sweet story. And I love the thing about the stones, just such a good idea.