Friday, October 2, 2009

Busy, Busy Week

I am so glad we made it through this week, all of us alive and well. The week of conferences is always hectic for me, throw in Spirit Week, late night conferences, report cards, three early release days, an awards assembly (with three of four grandparents represented along with Mom, Dad and Connor) and a dr appointment on Friday afternoon (nobody was sick, just a check up for Connor) and you can see why I am happy we all made it through with flying colors. Plus, this afternoon my brother flew in from Seattle. Phew... I am tired just writing about it all! Thank goodness Grandpa aka "The Nanny" came in from CA to help me out. He watched Connor for two days (he changed poopy diapers and all!). Then he watched Travis for two afternoons since school got out early yet I had to stay for conferences. Daryle took off on Friday because...drum roll please... Travis got the Student of the Month Award for September!!! Yes, you read that right! We are just so proud of him. If ever a student truly earned an award like that it was Travis. His behavior at school has been stellar to say the least. I really do think we have turned a corner, at least where school is concerned. Really, we are SOOO proud of him. It helps that he LOVES his teacher...and I really mean that. He even tells her he loves her and calls her "Sweet Pea" (gee, wonder where he gets these things!). I had to tell him that wasn't exactly appropriate, we will continue to work on that one.
Here he is waiting to go up to get his award. Our cafeteria does not have the best lighting, this was the best one!

This afternoon we had an appointment for Connor, just a check up with his eye doctor. Things are going well, we just have to monitor him for glaucoma due to the location of his birthmark. However, the next check up in December we will have to put him under anesthesia because they can't get a valid assessment of his eyes when he is awake. He is TOUGH and STUBBORN and EXTREMELY STRONG! I kid you not, he squeezes his eyes so tight it is nearly impossible for them to check the pressure. So, just to make sure we are not missing anything they will put him under for a few minutes, do a thorough examination and hopefully everything will be ok. As the dr says, it is important to be very paranoid right now, to cross all the "t's" and dot all the "i's" because if there is a problem it can be treated. However, if we miss something we run the risk of Connor becoming blind at some point. Well, you won't hear me complaining about that! Sometimes being paranoid for just a little bit can be ok. I am just glad we were able to schedule the appointment before the end of the year since we have already met his deductible for this year.

I will leave with some pictures of our week. Hopefully I will have pictures of our visit with Uncle Rob before we leave for California on Tuesday. We are so ready for our two weeks off. We are looking forward to spending a week in Santa Rosa with family and friends.
Here we are on Crazy Hair Day.

This is Travis on Career Day. He dressed up like an Oakland Raider. He later told me, "Mom, I don't really want to be a football player when I grow up, I just want to dress like one today!" He is so funny sometimes.

I kept looking at the date today and thinking it was special for some reason. Well, tonight it hit me that exactly 6 years ago today we got our first picture of Travis. This was the day we first head about him and we have never looked back since. Amazing how time flies, isn't it?

That's all for now...look out Santa Rosa, the Hawes Family is about to descend! (Those of you in the neighborhood may want to lock up your cats, my boys are on the loose! LOL)

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Way to go Travis! Did you get a haircut? I guess I'll find out soon (when Clara wakes up from her nap). And that day is so special (9.29) because it's my dad's birthday. Duh. :)