Saturday, December 18, 2010

Graduation + Snow + Family = FUN TIMES!

Yesterday was the BIG day I had been looking forward to for over two years. Here we are, all packed up and on our way!
Connor was intently playing on his Leapster.
Travis had his DS and webkins all situated.
Dad was getting ready for the three hour drive to Flagstaff, looking forward to seeing snow soon.
Here I am, ready for the big day! Off we went so I could walk through graduation ceremonies at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, AZ. Four other teachers and myself embarked on this journey together. Two of them finished up in May, the rest of us finished up in December. The time flew by so quickly. In some ways it feels like no time at all and in other ways it seems like ages and ages ago. My life has changed so much since August of 2008. We had just started the adoption process so of course Connor wasn't even in our lives yet. (Well, physically he wasn't here... but we knew he was somewhere!) Now I can't imagine life without him so to think he wasn't even with us when I started makes it seem like it was so long ago. Here are my biggest supporters and fans! I could not have done this without all of them. Thanks so much, I love you all tremendously!!

A year ago my cousin Lynn and I found out that we were on pace to graduate together! It was great to get to share this wonderful day with her too!
Of course any big ceremony would not be complete without Connor falling in a mud puddle!
Afterwards we went out to dinner and had a great time. We were exhausted and went to bed early. This was Connor's first time staying in a hotel (well, since Russia... he has no memory of that!) and he just loved it. I can't tell you how many hugs and kisses I got. He loved everything about it. He was so cute checking out every last detail. The highlight for him was looking out the window this morning to see the garbage truck! He loves garbage trucks, in fact that is what he asked Santa for for Christmas! We were on the third floor so he thought that was so cool too. This morning it was snowing and my two little Russians were so darned excited. Connor hasn't ever seen snow and he kept calling it rain at first. It has been a few years for Travis so he was excited too. In fact, ALL of us were pretty excited. There is just something magical about watching the snow fall... especially when you don't get to see it very often! After getting them all bundled up, here they are.

NAU's mascot are the Lumberjacks. My dad happens to be an alumni so now we both are. This morning we went back over to the campus to get a shot of us with "our mascot". (Notice Travis had to get in too... we figured he could be a future alumni!)
Here is a closer shot of us.
Here we are after our little snowball fight. The kids had a blast! (So did mom, dad, grammy and grandpa too!)
A few cute shots of my boys.

Here we are all nestled back up in the car for our ride home. The good thing about visiting the snow is then you get to go home where it is 60+ degrees outside!

It didn't take long for this little guy to fall asleep....
We are all back home safe and sound. Now on to finish up the last minute Christmas shopping. At least school is out for the next two weeks. Travis will be starting soccer again in the next week or so. That means the craziness will start up all over again. At least now I can get to know the kids on the team because I won't be going to class or doing homework! Well, I had better get going, I think I can hear the wrapping paper calling my name.... ;-)

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Lisa,
What a wonderful post! Great pictures, story, and most of all THE GRADUATE! I'm soooo proud of you! I was with you in spirit, for sure. Now you will have a very Merry Christmas. Love, Mary Ann

mad white woman said...

Congratulations Lisa! Earning your Masters with two little kiddos is no easy accomplishment.