Saturday, November 5, 2011

Adoption Awareness Month




In case you didn't know, November is National Adoption Month. It is a chance for families who have been touched by adoption to share their stories, answer questions and in general create an overall awareness of adoption.  After reading several adoption blogs I found out that tomorrow is Orphan Sunday. I don't know what it is, but the word "orphan" just doesn't sit well with me. It makes me sad. It makes me think of all of the children in Russia that still don't have families.  This leads me to remember that Russia is not alone.  Many countries all over the world have children without families. Including the United States.  147 MILLION  children right now don't have parents.  They don't have anybody to tuck them in at night, to read them a bedtime story or rock them to sleep if they have a nightmare.  I am always reminded of that cute little blonde girl with the blue bow in her hair that stood and stared at my husband while we were visiting with Travis on the playground in Blago.  (We were told her parents were adopting her the following week. I hope that was true.)  I also think of the little boy I saw in the hallway in Connor's baby home.  He was whisked away quickly when we entered the room.  I also think of little Matvei.... the little boy who we thought was going to be our son. What really happened to that sweet little boy? He is four years old now. His birthday was in October.  I can't let myself think about it too often because that mystery still haunts me.

  Then I stop feeling sad and I realize how incredibly lucky I am. I am lucky to have two beautiful, loving, healthy boys that God entrusted to my husband and I to raise.  How awesome, incredible, and humbling is that?  I may not have physically given birth to them, but in every way they are my sons.  I bore them out of blood, sweat, and tears. Oh, and two mountains of paperwork. Literally. We are so blessed.

If you are interested in adopting or know of somebody who is please pray for them and give them all the support you can give.  It is an amazing feeling to know your life has been forever changed by adoption and to know you have changed the life of a child. I am a firm believer in destiny. I will leave you with some pictures of my children.  You can look at these faces and see first hand how the light in a child's eye changes once they know the unconditional love of a forever family.  
The first day we met Travis. August 2004 in Blagoveshchensk. 
First family photo in front of St. Basil's in Moscow. August 2004
An updated family photo at St. Basil's. June 2009
Connor's Gotcha Day. June 15, 2009
Brothers
Look at these boys now!  They are brothers in every sense of the word. Do they fight and argue? Of course.  But do they also love each other unconditionally? Absolutely!  They get to be called "brother" and "son" and we get to be called "mom and dad".  It is hard to figure out who the lucky ones are.  It's a win win situation.

"Adopting one child won't change the world; but for that child, the world will change."  Amen to that!

No comments: