Thursday, November 10, 2011

You got a what??!

You will never believe it. We got a guinea pig for Travis.  I never thought I would see the day when one of those were living in MY house!  (I must really love this kid. A lot.!!)  After much thought, conversation, and consideration we thought it would be good for Travis to have a little something to take care of. This plan started out being a hamster.  Then Daryle started talking to people and they pointed out that guinea pigs withstand handling from kids better and they live longer. (A rodent who lives long wasn't exactly what I had in mind... but I caved.)  First we went to the pet store to look at them.  While there we bought a book on guinea pigs (since mom and dad are clueless about these things) and Travis and I read it together.  A few days later we went back to the store and bought the guinea pig and all of the accessories.  Here are Daryle and Travis setting up the cage.  (Of course we had to get the deluxe set up...)  Travis gives it a "thumbs up!"
The little guy is in here.  Travis decided to name him "Blue" since his cage and accessories were blue.  The name grew on me pretty quick and seems to be fitting of the little guy.
 Our book mentioned that guinea pigs like carrots (among other fruits and veggies). I thought it was so cute that Travis put a little carrot in his pocket when we left for the pet store.  He wanted to put the carrot in the box for Blue to have on the ride home.  So at the checkout stand he did and off we went.  Here is Travis, so excited to show Blue his new home.
 Doesn't look like Blue was into that carrot.... I think he might have been a little nervous!
 Travis giving Blue a welcome home hug.
 TA-DA! Here is your new home castle.
 How is the view up there??
 We had to let him get used to the cage and his new surroundings before getting him out of his cage.  We made Travis wait until the following day to play with him.  When that magic moment happened we decided to let him run around in my  bathroom. I figured since I have tile floors in there (and a few doors to ensure no escaping) it was a good place to let him run around. 
 We also read that it is good to put down a towel on your lap when you hold and play with your pet.  We found out why!  He kept pooping, (a LOT) these two were in stitches about it!  (Mom was really grossed out but I kept on a happy face!)
 Look close and you will see Blue's little present!
 Travis and Kylee having fun with Blue.

After having this little pet around for a week now I think it has been good for Travis. He has some responsibility (and believe me, he is the one to take care of this little guy) for something other than himself.  They already love each other.  When Travis holds him Blue makes happy squeaky noises.  When Travis comes home from school he checks on Blue. Later, when he goes to bed he gives him a good night hug.  I am not an animal person, but this little guy really is pretty cute.  Now that I have figured out how to control the smell I think I am ok with the newest member of our family. Welcome to the family little Blue!

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

I think pets are so good for kids... but that still hasn't convinced me we need one for our kids. :)