Saturday, August 18, 2012

Another Gotcha Day?!

I can hardly believe that August 2004 was 8 entire years ago. In some ways it feels like a lifetime ago.  In other ways it seems like yesterday. Then I look at Travis today and realize just how far he has come. And I realize how much farther he still has to go! 

Here we are in Blago, the first day we actually met him and got to hold him.  Can you believe we didn't even have a digital camera in "those days"? Hard to believe, I know.
I still love this one of Travis and Daryle. I just love how they are looking at each other.
Fast forward to 2012. Is this really the same child?!  He is 9 years old.  He is in Third Grade.  He plays any sport, but is passionate about both baseball and soccer.  He is funny, silly, crazy, athletic, loving, generous and an all around great little boy who is turning into a young man before our very eyes.  He is starting to become "fashion conscious".  He likes to pick out his clothing, and pays special attention to the accessories.  He really enjoys styling his hair every morning. He really likes using hair gel.  And LOTS of it.  He now clears the dinner table every night. He takes the plates, rinses them off and promptly puts them in the dishwasher.  Without being asked.  Wow!  He is also a wonderful big brother to Connor.  Don't get me wrong. I have plenty of days where I want to tear my hair out.  But, in the end I couldn't have asked for a more perfect child for our family.  Tonight we finally went out for our Gotcha Day Dinner with the grandparents.  Thursday was his "real" Gotcha Day but he was sick (as usual) and it would have been just too rushed for a school night.  We went out tonight and then even had time for ice cream afterwards.  It was much more relaxed this way. 
Of course Grammy and Grandpa were there ....

... along with Red Truck Grandpa.
And of course Connor was there too!  We were a little squished at our table, which made it hard for a family photo.

I have to laugh. According to Travis the new way to wear your hat is with a "flat bill" as opposed to a "curved bill" on your baseball hat.  This is evidenced by the hats I see in the stores. This flat bill thing drives Grandpa nuts.  Here he is making his hat into a flat bill hat... Travis was cracking up!!
After dinner we went out for some ice cream.  Where did that tongue come from??  (Can you tell that *someone* wants to be like his big brother and also is wearing hats now?)
This picture just cracks me up. I don't know what is funnier, the look on Travis face with his ears sticking out or my mom eating her ice cream. (I hope she doesn't kill me for posting this picture!)
My boys.  I love this picture. I think it might be one of my new favs.
And there you have it.  Tonight we also watched Travis' Russia video.  It starts with Daryle and I in Moscow, then we are in Blago meeting him, and finally we are back in Moscow with Travis. Then almost every year after that we have video of Travis talking.  He sure is growing up. Not that I needed a video to tell me that, I can see it on a daily basis!  Watching a few minutes of each year right in a row like that really seems to speed the whole thing up!

Sometimes I just sit back and look at my family in awe. I think. I reflect. It always comes back to this basic thought.
Adoption is a  pretty amazing gift. 
Families are also an amazing gift.   
I am so happy that my family was made through adoption.
I wouldn't have it any other way. 
Happy 8th Gotcha Day Travis!  
We love you so very, very much.
XOXOXOXO

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Yay! I've probably told you this at least 8 times already: I love that you celebrate this day with your kids.

I don't know what it is about that first picture but you look different... yet I can't exactly tell why. I always thought you haven't really changed much in the last several years. Maybe it's the hair?