Sunday, August 26, 2012

Siblings

Growing up it was just my brother Robby and I.  We have tons of cousins and extended family, but there is still that special bond between siblings that is different from any other bond with anybody else. It wasn't until I was older, probably in my 20's, when I had an Ah-ha moment about my brother. He was the only one in the world who grew up the exact same way as I did. We have many of the same memories.  I can say to him, "Remember that house we lived in (insert city) when (whatever) happened?"  And he remembers it too. Or, "Rember when (insert family member) came to visit (or in some cases, came to live with us)?"  Or even, "Remember (insert name of teacher) at (insert name of school)?" Even though it was just the two of us and we were 4 years apart I think we still managed to have a bond and a closeness that is important for siblings to have.  This bond my brother and I have is one of the biggest reasons that I really wanted Travis to have a sibling too.  Although we don't talk every day, or even every week, we do manage to catch each other on the phone often enough that we know what is going on with the other one.  It is a good feeling to know he is always there if I need him and vice versa.  It is hard being that we are in Arizona and he is in Washington State.    Here is Robby (or Rob as he likes to be called now) when he was 5.  In my mind, I still think of him like this sometimes!
 Anyway, fast forward to this past Thursday morning. I was with Connor at PCH getting ready for another laser treatment when my cell phone rang.  This was about 7 in the morning and I could see it was from Rob. The nurse was in the room so I quickly muted the phone and finished up with the nurse. After she left I quickly texted my brother to ask what he needed. His question was, "What did it feel like when you had appendicitis??"  Uh-oh. That did not sound good!  After texting for a few hours the end result was that he had gone to the closest emergency room.  They admitted him and started ruling everything out.  He was funny though. One text said, "Well, they have my blood, they have my urine, now I just sit and wait."  Followed closely by, "Great, they just did an ultrasound. Good news is I am NOT pregnant!!"  Good grief!  At least I could tell he was in good spirits.  By that evening he was having his appendix taken out.  We were worried because the doctors weren't positive it was the appendix and were going in for exploratory surgery.  Good news is that once they got in there it was the appendix so no need to explore any further.  I know from experience that it is no fun being sick with that!  Lucky for him he has a wonderful support group of friends that have been there to help him out.  They are actually more like family to him, they all have been close since their college days.  Yesterday he got to go home and he is resting and taking it easy.  I am sure he is going to make a full and speedy recovery.
Get well soon "little brother"!  We love you and hope to get to see you again sometime soon. 
Rest up!
 
Is it just me... or is it kinda wierd that we both had our appendix taken out... and it happend to each of us in August??  Hmmm... lol

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

Bummer! I hope he recovers soon... siblings are great and Rob always makes me laugh.

PS Jason just told me he already knew about this from FB. I can't believe he didn't tell me. Men. :)