Saturday, March 30, 2013

Double Digits!

Well, it's official. Travis is now 10 years old. Two whole hands. Double Digits.  Really?? Where does the time go? When I look back over the last 10 years it is amazing to think of the changes that not only Daryle and I have gone through but of everything that Travis himself has endured.  It really is a milestone.  Ten years ago right now Daryle and I thought we were adopting a child from Guatemala.  Nine years ago we knew of Travis and had hoped to have him with us on his first birthday. I remember being a basket case that day.  We were waiting on pins and needles for "the call" that we could finally go and pick him up.  Russian adoptions were different in 2004, we only had to make one trip.  Little did we know we would have to wait for August to finally meet him and start our lives together.  Regardless, thinking of him having his first birthday in an orphanage was heart wrenching.  All I wondered was if anybody cared about him that day, did he at least get a little hug?  I will never know. What I do know is that we have surely made up for it in the years since then. Just about every year since he turned 2 we have had some type of party for him.  (I think just 1 year it didn't work out).  I know. We have spoiled him.  We are ok with that. (I have repeatedly told him I never had so many parties when I was growing up!  lol)  This year he wanted to go to this new indoor skate park that is super close to our house.  He invited 8 kids, so we had 10 all together. All boys, 1 girl. All of them had a super time.  Several parents have spoken with me this week telling me how much fun their kids had.  Mission accomplished.

 Connor "hung up" his scooter.  Too funny.
 Connor with Jack and Maddie down in the pool.  To get out you throw your scooter up to the edge and climb out.
 Connor ran up the side and pulled himself right up. 
Grandpa was watching from above.
Time out for cake!
...and presents  too of course.
We had his party last weekend since Easter was this weekend.  His actual birthday was yesterday, it fell on Good Friday this year. Connor was SOOO excited that his brother was now 10!  I have a feeling he thinks that he is 10 now too judging by his excitement! 
Connor: Mom, is Trav ten now?
Me: Yes he is.
Connor does a fist pump and says, "YESSSS!"
Uh yes, I guess I have an official ten year old and a 4 year old who is a ten year old wannabe. Connor did make this card for his brother.
 As you can see, he was so proud of the gift he picked out for him.

Grammy and Grandpa brought over a gift. Look who joined in on the picture!  lol
 Mom and Dad gave him a  few gifts too.  He was super excited about a gift certificate for the skate park.  We also got him a new helmet, hopefully he will put that to good use as well.
 Ten candles create a LOT of heat. And smoke.

I told Travis to make wish and blow out his candles.  I told him if he blew out all of the candles his wish would come true.  He actually blew out every candle. Later he said, "Mom, I don't think that is true because I don't think a scooter will actually fall out of the sky and into the street for me."  Daryle and I just looked at each other.  Well Travis, we are not talking about wishes like that. lol 
Ah, to be ten. 
My wishes for him are to be happy, healthy, grounded, loving, caring, and to overall to be a good person.
So far I think my wishes for him are coming true.
I can hardly imagine what life will be like in ten more years.
For now I think I will try to make the most out of every day we have together. Life is too short and flies by way too fast.
Happy  10th Birthday Travis!  We love you very, very, very much!  You really are turning into quite a wonderful young man!

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

This made me tear up, but that's probably not too shocking. :) he looks so handsome in that suit. tell him happy birthday from the penrods!