Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer Adventure Part 2- Mendocino

On Wednesday we ventured out to the coast. We hopped in Grandpa's new car and headed to Mendocino to visit Uncle Mike, Aunt Susan and their dog Ollie.  Thankfully we did not have to be on Highway 1 for more than 3 miles. (For those of you not familiar with that road, it is extremely windy, not for the feint of heart!)  However, we still did have to drive on some windy roads to get there.  The night before I was worried about myself getting carsick.  Windy roads tend to do that to me.  However, once we were well on our way it was Connor that started to feel carsick!  Ooops! I wasn't anticipating that one!  Thankfully he didn't actually get sick in the car.  Since we weren't in a hurry we were able to make a few stops along the way for him to get out once in awhile.... even if it was just along the side of the road. Here are the boys all loaded up and ready to hit the road!
 Here are the boys on one of our pit stops along the road. Lucky for us we were able to stop in the middle of a Redwood forest. Breath taking landscape for sure! 

Once we got to Uncle Mike and Aunt Susan's house we got the grand tour!  I forgot to take any pictures!!  I was so amazed just looking around and taking in the amazing views from their home.  Then we made some sandwiches and headed for the beach.  Here you can see that there was some fog heading in.  (Or "foggy fog" as Connor told us.... I guess he learned that from his friend Dora!)
 We found this big log to sit down and eat our lunch.
 Typical. While we are eating Connor is playing and taking in the action!
 Young Hawes brothers.....
 Not-so-young Hawes brothers! (haha!!)
Uncle Mike kept trying to give the boys a "science lesson". He didn't think they were listening, but I think they heard more than he thinks they did! I love it when people take my kids under their wing and teach them things that are new to them.  They really enjoyed their time with him and I would like to think that they did learn something!
As you can see, Travis took a special liking to him!
 Connor was still too busy playing in the sand and water to pose for a picture.  So here are Aunt Susan, Uncle Mike, Travis and Ollie. Ollie is so cute!!! What a great little dog.  Travis suggested they change his name to Charlie.  Silly boy!
 Connor finally graced us with his presence for a picture!

I LOVE the beach, I LOVE the ocean and I now LOVE Mendocino!  I do NOT LOVE the drive to get there but at least now I know I can do it without getting sick in the car!  As long as you keep your eyes on the  road it is a beautiful part of the country. If you haven't seen it you are really missing out!

No comments: