Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Adventure Part 3

On Thursday we planned to meet up with some friends that live just around the corner from grandma's house.  Karen was friends with Daryle in high school.  Rumor is that she tried setting him up with several of her friends, but nothing ever worked out! When Daryle and I were dating we would run into Karen and James from time to time. Since I was attending college in a different city we didn't get to hang out too often.  We ended up getting married just two months apart, in the same church!  When we did our marriage preparation classes Karen's brother and wife were our mentor teachers. Karen's mom had us on her prayer chain to be praying for couples getting married that summer.  Conicidence or what??!  Then, their first son was born just as they celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary and then later that summer we brought Travis home.  We also were celebrating being married 10 years!  Fast forward a few years and their second son was born.  Six months later we brought home Connor.  Connor is just 6 months older than her son.  We thought it was funny how we had two boys and they were all pretty close in age.  Imagine our surprise when Karen found herself pregnant last fall!  I won't go into details, but this pregnancy was a true miracle due to unforeseen life threatening medical issues for both mother and baby.  As with the first two babies they didn't know the gender until the baby was born.  Surprise, surprise, it was a girl! And she was born on Connor's birthday! I couldn't be in Santa Rosa and not see them so we planned a little get together with the boys.  Here they are early on. Travis and Dominic have been hanging out for years, but this was the first time Derek and Connor had been together since they were little babies.
Travis took this shot of Karen and I. Not too bad!
 It was getting a bit warm so a Popsicle break was in order!
 Connor and Derek enjoyed filling up this water table from the little pool.  I was wondering how in the world we were going to keep all four of these boys out of the pool. Suddenly, this started.....
 A water fight was in full action!!!  They had a BLAST!

 As I was taking these shots I was having a conversation with little Kristen about how I would help protect her from all of those boys! Something tells me she will be able to hold her own though!!  lol
 Travis asked, "Can I pet her?" (I guess we have seen one too many dogs and asked permission for that!) I told him we don't pet babies but he could touch her head if he wanted to. He gave her a gentle pat and I got this picture of them.  He asked where she came from. I told her from Karen's tummy. He kind of looked at me, processed that and then went back to his water fight. I still am not sure what was running through his little brain at that moment!
I can't say for sure whether or not we will keep "matching up" with these two as far as kids go!  On one had we would love to have a little girl. On the other hand I wonder where the money tree will go in my backyard?? Until then I will live through them as they raise this precious little girl!
 After that fun and exhausting afternoon we went back to grandma's house. She was planning a family get together. Here are my boys with Matilda. She was born on Travis' birthday, how weird is that??  Both of my boys have a birthday twin in the same city!  Connor and Matilda are just 3 months apart, they had a super fun time running around together.
 Connor was trying out his scooter.  I love how his little leg is up in the air!
Phew, he is exhausted!  As you can see from the picture above, he didn't get very far!  lol  I guess I didn't get pictures of anybody else that evening. I was busy visiting and chatting it up with everybody.  We had a great time, good food and  good company for sure!

No comments: