Friday, February 11, 2011

"The Box"

When I woke up this morning it was... MY BIRTHDAY!! Birthdays are always fun to me. There have been some exciting years and some so-so years. However, since Travis came around and now that Connor is here, birthdays are better just because the kids get so excited. All my kids need are a cake, some candles, a present to unwrap and to sing the "Happy Birthday To You" song and they are set. In my previous post I showed a box that arrived earlier in the week for my birthday. Well, tonight Travis gave me permission to open it up. (Just FYI, these pictures are extra extra goofy and I can't believe I let Daryle take them. But since he did, I will share them. We can't let them go to waste! haha!) Here I am with the box cutter, getting ready to open the mystery box.
What?? Bubble wrap?? My favorite, who knew???
It doesn't stop there... we also have the extra cushy tissue paper packed in for good measure.
Ah-ha! We have a wrapped present! (Actually there were three, I will spare you the goofiness!)
How cute, a daily calendar. And it is even on today's date, my birthday.
Just what this teacher needs. A cool, jeweled, blue pen and a pad of paper. Look out parents, notes will be coming home now! (That wink should have a star by it and make the noise "bing"!)
By the way, thanks to Sharon, my mother in law, for that box-o-gifts. It sure was fun opening and look, now I have a post with a bunch of really silly pictures of myself to show just how much fun we all had opening it up! The other big present of the day was that special present Travis made for me at Home Depot last weekend. Boy was it cute. You can't see it very well, but the Home Depot sticker right in the middle really adds class!
I love the front, although it is the back part that I will cherish the most over the years.
The real challenge is to find a "good" place to hang it. Travis has his ideas. I have mine. I am sure I know who will win. I think I know the perfect spot.... in my bedroom. That way I can see it every morning when I wake up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Another topic of conversation around here has been about my birthday cake. Usually I am the one who makes all of the cakes around here (and Travis always helps decorate them). One night this week I asked Travis who was going to bake my cake. He had a very puzzled look on his face and then said, "Mommy, you had better make it. I don't think Daddy knows how. {looking to Daryle} Do you dad?" Daryle shot me a look so I quickly intervened and said I was sure that Grammy would pull through for me. Thank goodness she did! (By the way, thanks mom, the cake was delicious!! It was extra special because you and Travis made it too.) In order for Travis to put his cake decorating skills to work Grandpa picked him up from school, brought him over to their house, and Grammy and Travis decorated the most beautiful, delicious cake I have ever seen or eaten.
The picture doesn't do it justice. As you can see, it has cupcake candies (truffles) all around it. It also has M&M's all around the edges. It was so, so, so cute! (And did I mention delicious too??)
Here I am with my boys, getting ready to light the candles and sing. Thank you to everybody who made my day so special. It was a wonderful day!

3 comments:

The {G} Family said...

LOL I'm so glad you posted...I was waiting to hear what was in the box! :) Happy Birthday - looks like you all had a blast!

Mary Ann said...

Thanks so much for unveiling the BIG SURPRISE! Looks like you all had a lot of fun. I love the cake!

mad white woman said...

Happy Birthday!! That cake looks delicious. Considering it's covered in candy, I believe you when you say it was delicious too. :)