Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fun Times At the Zoo

When people wonder why we go back to school so early (at the end of July) I just remind them about the wonderful breaks we have during the rest of the year.  Summers are so hot around here that you can't do much outdoors (unless you have a swimming pool... which we don't.. and even then sometimes it is actually too hot to even swim, if you can imagine that!) However, in October and March the weather is beautiful and there is so much to do outdoors.  We always get two weeks off in October and then two weeks  off in March.  As a teacher I love it because the kids get a nice break from school and come back nice and refreshed.  As a mom I love it because I get to spend extra time with my kids.  This year my parents bought us a Zoo Membership to the zoo for Christmas.  Last week my mom had a few days off so we took the boys to the zoo.  Evidently everybody else had the same idea because we couldn't find a parking spot and then the line to get in was out of this world.  If you are familiar with the Phoenix Zoo, I can tell you the line was all the way across the bridge at the entrance.  Fortunately we are members, and with that comes perks.  My mom went ahead to check, and yes, we got to bypass that whole line and walk right into the zoo. Hurray!  (I was beginning to panic because of course Connor immediately had to "go potty" right when we got to the entrance.) 

The weather was gorgeous and our zoo is so big that even when we got inside it didn't feel super crowded.  For some reason my boys love getting a picture by this komodo dragon every time we go.

 With our membership we got 4 free passes to ride the train around the zoo.  Usually we just walk, but since it was free of course we had to take a ride.  Connor gave it a "thumbs up"!  (Don't you love how his juice left this red mark on his mouth. all. day.long??)
 Travis trying to be "too cool" to be excited about riding the train.  He will be nine in just a few days... he is growing up too fast for me sometimes!
 Well, we are not too cool for the train! I don't know why this came out blurry though.
 One area Travis loves is the petting zoo area.  This area has come a long way since I was a kid.  Travis loves to brush the goats.  He really loves animals so much.

 Connor loves the carousel!  He wanted to ride on the dragon so badly, thank goodness it was available for him when it was his turn to get on the ride. And yes, he dressed himself. It was 87 out that day but he insisted on wearing long sleeves with his shorts. I packed a short sleeved shirt just in case he changed his mind, but he never did.  (Can you say stubborn child??)
Now we are on to week 2 of our break.  Just a lot of hanging out and relaxing going on around here. We have been doing yard work, playing baseball, riding bikes and scooters, playing with friends and going to different parks.  The doors and windows have been open as the breeze flows through the house.  I love spring break!

No comments: