Monday, May 25, 2009

Sick Baby

This morning we went to go see and visit Connor. Once we got there we found out that he was sick and in "isolation" so we were not able to play with him. They did bring us to the room where he was and we took a picture of him from behind the glass. They told us he had a high fever over the weekend and a red throat. He is on antiobiotics and today his fever had gone down to 100 degrees. He did smile though! We waved to him and said hi, he seemed to wave back to us. We gave our donation of baby clothes to the orphanage and they seemed to be thankful and liked the items. We are hoping to get to at least hold him and visit with him tomorrow. In the morning we will get a call telling us if we can see him or not, it will depend on how he is doing. When they first told us, I thought, this is ok, we will be fine. Then as we walked down all of these stairs I stared thinking, "Oh gosh, to see my baby sick and not be able to hold him might just kill me" but when we got there we saw other babies in cribs that were sick too. I think the fact that he smiled at us and seemed to wave made me feel ok about not getting to hold him. Plus, we don't need to catch anything or even worse, give him something because he is not used to our germs either. So, we went upstairs and the doctor gave us all the details of his illness. I think it sounds a bit like strep throat or a flu. We were told it is NOT the swine flu! (phew!) I held it together until the doctor looked at us and said (as translated to us) that she is so very sorry that we were not able to hold and play with the baby. That is the moment the tears began to stream down my face! I got over it pretty quickly, but we are just disappointed that we didn't get to have more interaction with him. They did give us his measurements and he is about 15 pounds and 28 inches long...that is the size Travis was when he came home but he was 16 months old and Connor is 11 months old. I have to say though, Connor looks longer than Travis was so I am not sure how accurate the measurements are. But, it does give me something to go by for now! Well, I had better go, I think my free five minutes are about up!

No comments: